The aroma of apple and cinnamon triggers many memories of home life, family, autumn and celebrations. Estate agents even use apple and cinnamon sticks simmering in water over the stove as a marketing trick to create a cosy atmosphere when the property is being viewed. For me, these gluten-free muffins are mind-blowing delicious, packed with chunks of apple and crunchy pecans. The muffin topping takes it to another level for the perfect muffin that can be eaten anytime at breakfast, mid-morning, mid-afternoon or as a midnight snack.
- 100g butter, melted and cooled
- 250ml buttermilk or homemade buttermilk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or homemade vanilla extract
- 2 green apples, preferably Granny Smith variety
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 90g pecans, halved
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 30g pecans, chopped finely
Step by Step Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 190 C/375 F.
2. Peel, core and chop the apples in approximately 2cm chunks.
3. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
9. Mix the muffin topping ingredients together in a small bowl.