As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Some recipes may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies – a refreshing indulgence!
These gluten-free chocolate peppermint cookies are a simple assembly of butter cocoa cookies sandwiched together with peppermint icing that is half-coated in quality melted chocolate.
Sounds divine? It only takes a few bites to realise that these are a midnight snack in the making. They are rich, full of flavour and deserve to be stored at the back of the fridge so no one finds them! But seriously, these are to be enjoyed..slowly and mindfully!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Peppermint Hearts
GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE COOKIES
- 150 g sifted icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- 150 g good-quality chocolate with 70% cacao content
- ½ tsp butter
- 2 tsp edible decorations or sprinkles
GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE COOKIES
Preparing the dough
- In a stand mixer bowl using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together for several minutes until it appears fluffy and smooth.
- Add the flours, psyllium husk powder and baking powder. Mix at the lowest speed for one minute.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and cocoa powder until it appears like a chocolate sauce. Add to the butter & flour mixture.
- Mix at the second-lowest speed for one minute. Add more almond flour if the cookie dough feels too sticky. The dough is ready when you can roll it into a ball without it sticking to your hands.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
Baking the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/335°F.
- Between two sheets of baking paper, roll out the dough to 5 mm thick.
- Using a medium-size heart shape cookie cutter, cut out the dough and place them on lined baking trays 1 cm apart. The cookies do not spread while baking.
- Bake for 14 mins on the second-lowest shelf.
- Allow to cool down on the baking tray for 5 mins. Transfer to a wire rack to cool down fully.
- Add the sieved icing sugar to the stand mixer bowl together with the milk and peppermint essence.
- At the lowest speed, mix the icing sugar mixture with a paddle attachment. Cover and set aside.
Assembling the cookies
- Spread ½ tsp of the peppermint icing on one half of the chocolate heart shape cookie.
- Top a chocolate heart shape cookie on top of the peppermint iced half cookie.
- Once all of them have been sandwiched with two chocolate cookies between the peppermint icing, chill them for at least 30 mins for the icing to stiffen before coating them in chocolate.
Coating with Chocolate
- Gently melt the chocolate and butter in a small bowl over a simmering pot of water. Stir occasionally, until the mixture is melted and glossy.
- Dip the assembled chocolate sandwiched cookie halfway into the melted chocolate sauce.
- Raise the cookie above the chocolate sauce and allow it to drip off any excess sauce before transferring it to a wire rack to drain further and set.
- Sprinkle some heart shape edible decorations or colourful sprinkles on the chocolate coating before it sets.
- Chill further for 15 mins before serving.
- Once the cookies are set, store chilled in a sealed tin or container
- Keeps chilled for 5 days
- Suitable to freeze once assembled and coated in chocolate